Theobromine Poisoning in Dogs | Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
I want to talk to you guys about safety but, not for you, for your dog.
Did you know that every year tons of dogs have to go to the emergency room because they’ve consumed chocolate.
Why chocolate is so harmful to dogs? and how we can help prevent them from eating it around this time of year?
When exactly does the chocolate become toxic?
It really depends on the type of chocolate that the dog has.Things like white chocolate have very very small trace amounts of Theobromine which is the toxic ingredient.
But chocolates such as dark chocolate or cocoa powder have a much higher content of Theobromine.
Theobromine is a methyl xanthine alkaloid it’s actually found in cocoa beans: nuts which is used to make things like soda and also tea leaves.
Is it true that dogs can’t eliminate theobromine from their bloodstream?
chocolate definitely is toxic to dogs that’s because chocolate contains caffeine, a chemical called Theobromine.
Theobromine is readily absorbed in the GI tract and it’s actually metabolized by the liver where it is partially eliminated with O bromine and it is eliminated much more slowly in dogs than it is in humans.
When humans eat these chemicals, we just get a little jolt of energy because we can process them quickly whereas dogs process these chemical slower which makes the effects much stronger.
If a canine eats too much chocolate they can have diarrhea, vomiting, muscle spasms, excessive panting, hyperactive behavior and even seizures.
Chocolate is bad for dog but is it toxic enough to kill them?
There is potential for chocolate to kill your dog but it depends on how much chocolate they eat and what kind of chocolate it is.
In severe cases they can overheat, have trouble breathing or even experience in irregular heartbeat all of which can cause death.
How much chocolate is too much for a pooch?
It depends on the size of the dog and the kind of chocolate. smaller dogs will have more severe reaction and the amount of caffeine and theobromine and chocolate varieties.
A medium sized dog of 50 pounds could potentially show signs of poisoning after ingesting 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate or 8 oz of milk chocolate.
How many other common foods are dangerous for dogs that you should never feed your dog?
Avocados, onions, garlic, coffee, grapes, macadamia nuts or overly salty or sugary foods.